Friday, April 3, 2009

ATSA MY TURKEY!!!



As anybody who grew up during the '60s and '70s knows, the art of Housewifery went out with June Cleaver. My mother was no exception. We lived on a limited, blue collar, single-bread-winner-income, and there were three growing boys and a sodden machinist to feed. Mom used to plan our menus weekly, shopping for the best deals (I got it from her), and tried to put nutritious, not necessarily delicious meals on the table. As I grew up into that weirdo that wore Capri Pants to High School and garnered an equally strange group of friends, it was well known that I was always hungry (hunger-strike) and broke. My friends' moms used to take pity on me and then came the inevitable invite to dinner. It was nearly every day, at about 4PM (after my paper route), that I'd phone home and ask "What's for dinner?" get the unfortunate answer, beg off and eat at a friends house. The week's menu was always secured to the kitchen door with a magnet, for the world to see, and, unfortunately, once Derek Washington spied the distinctive scrawl of my mother's hand tacked to the fridge....well. It was all over campus.

And his favorite line?

What the fuck is ATSA MY TURKEY?!


So, Derek, you nosy, loud-mouthed ("we have HELP") mutha fucka, here's the recipe for your fave.

Atsa My Turkey

1/2 pound fettucini or plain egg noodles, cooked and drained
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
1/2 cup condensed chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup milk
6 Tbsp. diced mozzarella or Jack cheese
6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Prepare the noodles. Simmer the turkey, broth and wine over low heat for five minutes. Add this mixture to the noodles alson with the remaining ingredients. Cook over very low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes (or use a double boiler).


PS: This is much better with smoked turkey...just FYI.

1 comment:

THE VEGAS STYLE GUY said...

OMG! My fave least fave dish evah!

I'll have to order Isabel into El Horno muy pronto to whip up this delish dish!

Now, if I can just find that damn champagne caddy!

RA OOOOOL!